Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Meet Our Partners

Eldon and Leta Goeringer, 

Trinity Lutheran Church


This week we're visiting with Eldon & Leta Goeringer from Trinity in Clinton. I hope you enjoy this opportunity to get to know them better. 

Eldon & Leta
______________________

Let's start with the easy ones I usually begin with, what are your favorite foods?  
Eldon: Home Grown Steak w/baked potato & Green Salad 
Leta: T Bone steak

I guess that makes sense since you raise cattle! And your favorite drinks? 
Eldon: Water 
Leta: Ice tea

What's your favorite color? 
Eldon: Blue and Brown
Leta: Blue

Do you have a favorite song? 
Eldon:  Be Thou My Vision
Leta: Gather Us In

How long have you been members of Trinity? 
Eldon: 34 years but not consecutively .
Leta: 29 years 6 months that is when we moved back to the farm.

Tell me about your childhood.  Where did you grow up? brothers and sisters? schools? etc.

Eldon: I born at Clinton Regional Hospital and raised on the farm that Leta and I are presently living on. Attended Burns Flat, Oklahoma Grades 1-12. Following Graduation from high school attended Oklahoma State Tech in Okmulgee, Oklahoma where I was enrolled in the Diesel Mechanic program graduated in 1966 and following a short time was employed by Diesel Power Co. of Oklahoma which shortly after employment the firm was purchased by United Engines out of Shreveport, La. Moved to Ardmore to be employed by Joe Brown Co as a mechanic at which time became acquainted with Leta Miller who presently the love of my life for 45years. 
We had one son Eugene born in Ardmore, moved back to OKC and resumed my employment at United Engines and Darrell and Sarah were additions to our family. Eugene our oldest son has since been called home to be with his Lord and Savior. Darrell and his wife Maria are living in Burns Flat has 3 children, and is presently employed by Mid-Com and Sarah has 2 children and lives in Piedmont with her husband Allen and she is employed at as a  pharmacist at one of CVS’s stores in OKC.
Leta and I have been back on the farm after the death of my dad in 1980 at which time we Leta and I did the farming from our Piedmont home until we moved back to the farm in 1984.
I am blessed with 2 sisters both younger than I am but can still be a pain at times. 

Leta: I was raised around Ardmore, then moved to Lone Grove, Oklahoma.  Graduated from Lone Grove High School. I have l brother Wayne and 2 sisters Linda and Marlean who still live around the Lone Grove area.

What are some of your hobbies?
Eldon: Maintaining our equipment and keeping it in proper working order along with some wood working projects. 

Leta: Farming, gardening, and cooking.
  
If you could do anything you wanted to do (job, travel, etc.) what would it be?  
Eldon: I don’t think that changing anything is more important than allowing the Holy Spirit enter into our lives and live God’s call of profession or vocation and live a life that proclaim Jesus Christ Lord and Savior to all the world.

Leta: I enjoy living and working on the farm.
  
Tell me about your family. 
Leta: Eldon and I married in 1968.  We had 2 Boys and 1 Daughter who grew up on the farm.  The boys played football and Sarah played basketball in high school at Burns Flat.  All 3 children graduated from Burns Flat High School.
We lost Eugene in Dec. 2009 to an accident.
Darrell married Maria and lives in Burns Flat and has 3 children, Joshua, Jacob, and Susan.
Sarah married Allen and lives in Piedmont and has 2 children, Olivia and Luke.

What is the best church event you ever attended (e.g. potluck, worship, etc)? 
Where was it and what made it so special?
Eldon: VDC (Via De Cristo) weekend #7 which was held at Ft. Smith, Arkansas.

Leta: Probably the 5th Sunday Joint Worship Service having the 3 congregations join together for Worship and a meal.

Tell me about your fondest or most meaningful memory of an encounter you had with another Christian? 
Eldon: I have had many meaningful experiences most of which have been with the church family here at Trinity. 

Leta: That would be when I attended Via De Cristo for W/E #7 in March 2003.  The experience of Worship, Singing, and Prayer with others was very inspiring for 4 days.

What do you hope will come of the faith partnership between our three congregations? 
Eldon: I ask that God lead us in full fellowship and communion with each other and we continue our Faith journey when we have each been called to do. God has and does make his presence known at many times. May we continue to promote his presence in our lives and make his presence know in our communities?

Leta: Hope we can learn to work together and grow.

I'm a bit embarrassed to ask this, but it was suggested last time so I will: How am I, Pastor Spicer, doing?
Eldon: You are doing a fantastic job and hope that this calling is a blessing to you as much as it has and is to our communities. 

Leta: You are doing an excellent job and trying to work with everyone.

I assure you I count myself very blessed to have been called by Christ to serve him in this place with all of you.  
______________________

I want to thank Eldon and Leta for sharing a bit of themselves with us.  Please make sure to tell them hello the next time you see them, and let them know you read about them in Meet Our Partners!

No comments:

Post a Comment