Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Meet Our Partners

Dennis & Barbara Messmer, 

Grace Lutheran Church

This week we meet Dennis & Barbara Messmer from Grace Lutheran Church. I hope you enjoy this opportunity to get to know them better.
Dennis & Barbara
____________________________

What’s your favorite food?
Barbara - roast beef 
Dennis - kimchi

And your favorite drink?
Barbara – lemon juice 
Dennis – coffee

What about a favorite movie?
Barbara --Saving Mr. Banks 

Dennis – most any western

And what's you favorite color?
Barbara – red 
Dennis – green

Do you have a favorite song or hymn?
Barbara – You Are Mine 
Dennis – It Is Well with My Soul

And how about a favorite sport’s team?
Barbara – OKC Thunder 
Dennis – Kansas State Wildcats

How long have you two been members of Grace?
We have been members of Grace Lutheran since its origin 25 years ago.

Tell me about your childhood.  Where did you grow up? brothers and sisters? schools? etc.
Barbara - I grew up on a family farm by Astoria, South Dakota near the Minnesota border. I am the oldest of three sisters. In fact, I'm the matriarch on both sides of my family. When I grew up, I thought everyone was musical. I graduated from Astoria High School and Sioux Falls’ Nettleton Commercial College. I began my career at South Dakota State University in Brookings, SD as a secretary for the Bacteriology Department where I met an interesting graduate student (named Dennis). I worked there and later transferred to the office of the Assistant to the President.
Dennis and I were married in December of 1965. I then moved to Manhattan, Kansas where he was completing his studies. While living there, I was employed by the Kansas State Veterinary Hospital where I began her life-long love for pets especially cats. Since moving to Weatherford I have been a full time mother, piano teacher, church organist, church secretary, occasional choir director, and extension club member. 

Dennis - I grew up on the family farm by Wessington Springs, SD with an older brother and two younger sisters. I was very active in 4-H. Some of my special memories are of being the top judge in the statewide livestock and dairy judging contests for two straight years. I graduated from Wessington Springs High School and then spent two military years stationed in Korea. 
During my collegiate years, I worked as a roughneck in the oilfields of Colorado and Wyoming. I got my undergraduate and graduate degrees in microbiology and biochemistry from South Dakota State University, Brookings and Kansas State University, Manhattan. I retired from Southwestern Oklahoma State University and currently enjoy being a faculty member at the University of Phoenix, Oklahoma City campus. 

How do you spend your days?
Barbara - I spend my time teaching very special pianists. I also like to bake, and enjoy decorating our home, as well as caring for my pets, my plants, and my husband! I also entertain the residents at Weatherwood Assisted Living where I play and sing hymns twice a month. Every Thursday afternoon I volunteer at the Heartland of America Museum.

Dennis - I stay active by adding on to the earth sheltered house I built, doing masonry work, reading, exercising, and cooking. I teach several different classes, but my favorite is Human Nutrition.

Wow! You two sure stay busy. Tell me about your family. 
Barbara and Dennis - we have two wonderful children and two fabulous grandchildren. Our daughter, Monica, has a physical therapy clinic for children called TherapyTime in Tulsa. Our son, Derek, is a Wal-Mart pharmacist in Bentonville, AR. Our grandchildren excel in academics and orchestra. Our granddaughter, Claire, is Grandma’s pride and joy as she has become an accomplished pianist.

Tell me about your fondest or most meaningful memory of an encounter you had with another Christian/s (e.g. parent, child, Sunday school teacher, pastor, friend, etc.)?
Barbara - my fondest memory of another Christian is of a former Bible study leader due to her very special prayers and thorough knowledge of the Bible. 
Dennis - mine is of visiting with his Mom when she was alive.

What do you hope will come of the faith partnership between our three congregations?
Barbara and Dennis - We both desire that our partnership with the three congregations will nurture each other in our faith lives and the campus ministry will become more viable. 

If you could do anything you wanted to do (job, travel, etc.) what would it be?
Barbara - I wish I could have pursued a vocal degree. 
Dennis - I'm completely satisfied with his life.

What’s the one question I didn’t ask that you wish I had?
“What is your favorite scripture?” 

What’s your answer?
Barbara - Philippians 4:13 
For I can do everything God asks me to with the help of Christ who gives me the strength and power. Or -- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. 
Dennis - Ephesians 2:8
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God

I’ll be interviewing someone else like this next.  What is one question I should ask them?
Barbara and Dennis - What is your favorite activity within the church?


____________________________

Thanks Dennis & Barbara!  Make sure to tell the Messmers hello the next time you see them, and let them know you read about them in Meet Our Partners!

No comments:

Post a Comment